Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

App Installation
markroku Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:10:58 AM(UTC)

Hi Scott,

As far as I know AT&T doesn't allow me to load any apps except through the Android Market. Will your app show up there at some point in time?

Also, will the app play Napster DRM protected files?

I have a Samsung Captivate.

Thanks,

Mark
Scott Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:15:52 PM(UTC)
Scott

markroku;3241 wrote:
Hi Scott,

As far as I know AT&T doesn't allow me to load any apps except through the Android Market. Will your app show up there at some point in time?

Also, will the app play Napster DRM protected files?

I have a Samsung Captivate.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark!

Regarding AT&T & sideloading apps, this is somehow new information for me so I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. From what I am reading, the newer-generation AT&T phones will allow sideloading, and I saw a rumor about this being re-enabled for the Captivate, etc. back in May but apparently that's all it was -- rumor.

To answer your question, yes Jamcast for Android will be available on Android Market but we're taking smaller steps in getting there. However, due to AT&T's lockdown on sideloading we'll now be accelerating our approach to Market.

In the meantime, you might check this out: http://www.androidcentra...sideload-wonder-machine

It seems like just a front-end UI for ADB (Android Debug Bridge) so not scary/hackish at all -- just makes easy a workaround that's inconvenient for most folks.

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Technical Support
Docs: http://www.sdstechnologies.com/Wiki/
markroku Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:03:44 PM(UTC)

Thanks Scott... The Android Central sideloader worked just fine. I was able to use your app just fine here at home I assume via my wireless network. I did notice on the jamcast server manager that the test failed to allow Jamcast to automatically configure my router for remote access. I turned off the wi-fi on my phone and was unable to play music through the 3G (internet) connection so what do I need to do to configure my route since it seems that the Jamcast Server Manager can't seem to do it automatically.

By the way, my Captivate phone is a Play for Sure device for Napster as it can play Napster DRM protected songs that I sync from my computer. I do see on your app that those songs are locked though.

Thanks for your great product and this new app.

Mark
markroku Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:11:43 PM(UTC)

Hi Scott... I visited your support area and found out how to forward the necessary port on my router. I've always had every port shut down so nobody on the internet could see anything behind our router. What are the risks, if any, of having this particular port open for your application.

Thanks... Mark
Scott Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 11:28:35 AM(UTC)
Scott

markroku;3245 wrote:
Thanks Scott... The Android Central sideloader worked just fine. I was able to use your app just fine here at home I assume via my wireless network. I did notice on the jamcast server manager that the test failed to allow Jamcast to automatically configure my router for remote access. I turned off the wi-fi on my phone and was unable to play music through the 3G (internet) connection so what do I need to do to configure my route since it seems that the Jamcast Server Manager can't seem to do it automatically.

By the way, my Captivate phone is a Play for Sure device for Napster as it can play Napster DRM protected songs that I sync from my computer. I do see on your app that those songs are locked though.

Thanks for your great product and this new app.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I inadvertently ignored your question regarding DRM so allow me to answer that first. As you've already found out I think, WM-DRM playback is not supported on the Android client. I am curious about how Samsung supports this as I was not aware that Microsoft made their DRM libraries available for the ARM platform. I will check it out though!

You're welcome!
Scott
Scott Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 11:39:09 AM(UTC)
Scott

markroku;3246 wrote:
Hi Scott... I visited your support area and found out how to forward the necessary port on my router. I've always had every port shut down so nobody on the internet could see anything behind our router. What are the risks, if any, of having this particular port open for your application.

Thanks... Mark

Hi Mark,

Coo, I'm glad you found that. There's also more help on setting up Jamcast for remote access here:

http://www.sdstechnologi...a-0-9-3-Discussion.aspx

If you open up your router/firewall to allow inbound internet to Jamcast or any other applications, it means anybody can make connections to it. From there, by default, Jamcast implements a security mechanism that prevents any unauthorized internet clients from doing anything with the server other then getting a proper HTTP "Forbidden" message back in return. To gain authorization, you have to explicitly grant it. There is also another option (also enabled by default) that will approve your device running Jamcast for Android if it is first seen on the private LAN.

Both of these remote access security configurations can be reviewed and changed via Server Manager, Network/Remote Access tab.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks!
Scott
markroku Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 12:26:10 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the info on open port security... sounds like I shouldn't worry about opening that one port.

On the DRM issue, I don't know how Samsung does what they do, but when I connect my phone to the computer and run Napster it sees it as an authorized device and is listed in my account as one of my three Napster To Go devices.. And as I mentioned, I can sync Napster DRM protected songs to the phone and play them. I wonder though that since with the Jamcast app I'm actually streaming them from another computer if in fact the phone would have to actually be like a Roku or other streaming device, as opposed to just a Play for Sure device like my Creative Labs Zen, etc.

What you've already done with the app is very cool... if Napster stuff eventually plays on it that would be just that much more amazing.

Mark