Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Frequently Asked Questions
Scott Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:08:57 AM(UTC)
Scott

Hello all,

This FAQ will be updated as new questions arise and information becomes available. If you don't get your question answered here, please feel free to start a new thread and ask!

Thanks!

###

Q: What exactly does Jamcast for Android do?
A: Jamcast for Android gives you instant access to your media collection from anywhere in the world without the hassle of syncing or uploading all your files.

Q: How much will the app cost?
A: Nothing. The app will be free download on the Android Marketplace and is without any advertising.

Q: When will Jamcast for Android be released?
A: Weeks, not months.

Q: So the app requires the Jamcast server as well?
A: Yes, the app is designed and optimized to work with the Jamcast server for Windows.

Q: Is the app available to Jamcast trial users too?
A: Of course! The app is a free download on the Android Marketplace, so it's there for any Jamcast user to download and use.

Q: Will this work in my country?
A: You're streaming the media you already own, so the territory restrictions you might find elsewhere are not applicable with Jamcast.

Q: Is this one of those "cloud" services I keep hearing about?
A: Nope, with Jamcast your media files stay at home and in their original format and location.

Q: Is there any synchronization or USB cables involved?
A: No. With Jamcast, it's not necessary to use any cables or copy any media to the Android device.

Q: My ISP is always changing my IP address. How does Jamcast always know where to find my computer on the internet?
A: We've built a proprietary locater service that works much like DNS but is secured with your Jamcast user credentials. The locater service helps the Android device find your media collection(s) even when your IP address changes.

Q: I'm exposing Jamcast to the internet, what about security? Can just anyone browse and play my media?
A: No. You'll need to approve Android devices before first use over the internet, and devices can be removed from the approved list at any time.

Q: What audio formats will Jamcast for Android be capable of playing?
A: The Jamcast app proudly advertises native playback of most of the non-DRM formats the Jamcast server supports. This includes FLAC, OGG, MP3, LPCM, WAV, AIFF, SHN, AAC, and ALAC (full support for the WMA family of codecs is achieved via lossless transcoding on the server).

Q: How does Jamcast for Android behave over a LAN connection?
A: When a LAN connection is detected, Jamcast will deliver the track in its native format. Optionally, MP3 transcoding can be forced when network performance is an issue.

Q: How does Jamcast behave over a 3G connection?
A: Jamcast can automatically detect that your device is using a 3G data connection and will transcode your media to MP3 on the server, preserving data plan usage and maximizing streaming performance over slower connections. The MP3 target bitrate is configurable.

Q: Will the Virtual Soundcard be streamable to the phone?
A: Indeed!

Q: What about podcasts, plugin content, etc.?
A: Yes, these will all be available too!

Q: What about my iTunes playlists?
A: Yes!

Q: What about the playlists I created in Windows Media, WinAmp, etc.?
A: Yes, those too!

Q: What is the minimum Android OS version required?
A: Your device must be running Android 2.1 or higher. (UPDATED 11/27)

Q: Will the app work with Google TV?
A: We're very excited about Google TV and will be optimizing Jamcast for this platform with great urgency.

Q: Will the app work with other UPnP/DLNA servers besides Jamcast?
A: Not initially.

Q: Are there apps planned for other mobile/embedded platforms (iOS, Windows Mobile, etc.)?
A: It's possible, but nothing is planned at this time.
Scott
Jamcast Technical Support
Docs: http://www.sdstechnologies.com/Wiki/