Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What was your first impression of Jamcast?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Great!
59 %
  It has potential, but needs some work.
19 %
  Just OK for me.
4 %
  It works, but I don't like it.
7 %
  Who knows? I never got it to work.
8 %
  Total 92 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline keith.robson  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2009 7:35:16 AM(UTC)
keith.robson

Installed on Windows Home Server without issue - very easy to get up and running.
Limited testing so far with my Pinnacle branded Soundbridge (M400) and Revo Pico WiFi radio hasn't shown any problems - it delivers the goods without fuss.
I like the podcasts functionality, and I can see the Virtual PC stream getting the occasional use.

Up till now I've been using WMP11 as the server for the Revo Pico, and firefly as the server for the Soundbridge.
Jamcast will certainly be used now instead of WMP because of the better browsing facilities (assuming the file ordering within folder modifications I've read about in other threads are done).
I'll probably keep firefly going for the moment since that provides different protocols and has other useful add-on software.

All in all it's looking pretty good!

In nitpicking mode I'd like to see additional options for controlling scans of the shared files (my files change infrequently):
a) inhibit startup scan
b) perform scans periodically (customisable period)
c) initiate scan manually
Offline woozle  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2009 9:44:52 AM(UTC)
woozle

out of interest, as I never got as far as actually trying firefly, what are the things I'm missing out on? what are (some of) the things that are making you keep firefly?
Offline keith.robson  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2009 10:19:55 PM(UTC)
keith.robson

woozle wrote:
out of interest, as I never got as far as actually trying firefly, what are the things I'm missing out on? what are (some of) the things that are making you keep firefly?

Firefly doesn't use UPnP, it handles DAAP and Roku's own protocol RSP.
For the Soundbridge, RSP performs slightly better than UPnP - for example with two tracks that segue together, they play seamlessly under RSP but I get a very slight (but noticable) "blip" under UPnP.
I'm not blaming Jamcast for this - for example the Pico is much worse in that it seems to connect to the server and buffers each track individually, resulting in a gap of 3-4 seconds.

It supports "smart" playlists (not that I use them myself). Basically these can perform a query against the database to provide the list.

There is also quite a bit of 3rd party software available, e.g. software clients and web browser based streaming.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find out more yourself - I don't wish to promote firefly on this forum.
Offline esahn  
#24 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:38:05 AM(UTC)
esahn

No good. I added my music directory on my server storage drive. It has about 15,000 songs all converted to itunes format (I think). Jamcast found only 42 songs - which may only be the songs in that folder that have different kinds of formats that itunes cannot read.

Even if you can direct me to get all my music accessible, how do you create playlists that work with this server?

And, I play this through Roku. It would be nice to be able to control the Roku player using your server to essentially push music to Roku from the server rather than have Roku pull music through your server. Essentially, I'd like the server to do what the Itouch can do in running Roku like a remote control. Any chance?
Offline Scott  
#25 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2009 10:16:39 AM(UTC)
Scott

esahn wrote:
No good. I added my music directory on my server storage drive. It has about 15,000 songs all converted to itunes format (I think). Jamcast found only 42 songs - which may only be the songs in that folder that have different kinds of formats that itunes cannot read.

Even if you can direct me to get all my music accessible, how do you create playlists that work with this server?

And, I play this through Roku. It would be nice to be able to control the Roku player using your server to essentially push music to Roku from the server rather than have Roku pull music through your server. Essentially, I'd like the server to do what the Itouch can do in running Roku like a remote control. Any chance?

Hi esahn,

Sorry for your troubles. Your import log will possibly tell us why Jamcast didn't import all of your tracks. It's called "importlog.txt" and it's located in the Jamcast program directory. Feel free to email it to me directly (or start a thread in the Technical Support forum and paste it there) if you are unable to pinpoint the issue from the logfile.

Regarding playlists, Jamcast currently supports M3U, PLS, and WPL playlist formats. As there have been other requests for this, there are plans to import playlists from your iTunes library for a future release.

Regarding controlling the Roku from the computer, check out the Virtual Soundcard feature (read the FAQ in the Technical Support forum). It's essentially an infinite, continuous stream of audio playing on your PC, so you can fire up iTunes or whatever and Jamcast will stream that to the Roku.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Support Page: http://getjamcast.com/Support.aspx
Offline woozle  
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:12:41 AM(UTC)
woozle

also, depends how you want to control the Roku.

I'm sure you're aware that you can do simple control of it by connecting to its webpage?

there's also a Windows Mobile program - VisualMR - that's a great companion for jamcast and soundbridges (if you have Windows mobile of course!) which allows you to browse the server and control it completely.

And there are other programs too, none of which I've really tried out lately - for instance, cidero is a PC app that allows you to control UPnP playback from any PC.

And Keith, yeah, thanks for the response - I had read up on firefly, but apart from potentially seamless playback, I still can't quite see what benefit I might get from it... I don't think talking about it on here's likely to be too big a problem - it's useful to know what the comparative advantages and disadvantages are. The main advantage for me with jamcast is that it works with loads of different devices, not just the soundbridges. That and the great support you get ;-)
Offline Scott  
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:50:19 AM(UTC)
Scott

Yeah, you guys can feel free to talk about whatever. Firefly performance using RSP to the Soundbridge is excellent, there's no doubt about that. Smile

Regarding gapless playback, you should get this with Jamcast. Now I know with the Soundbridge when it switches from 16 to 24-bit audio (or vice-versa), you get a little click or pop from that. But otherwise, I checked out a live show from one track to the next and it seemed seamless, but perhaps there is some really subtle noise I'm not hearing?

Keith, what is codec with which you receive this "blip"?
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline keith.robson  
#28 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 8:12:35 AM(UTC)
keith.robson

OK, I have to own up to inadequate testing Blushing.
I hadn't unpacked my soundbridge from a recent house move before I installed Jamcast. The one thing I knew I wanted and that worked with firefly was gapless playback. So I got it out of its box, plugged in some headphones and gave it a whirl...
Unfortunately I'd forgotten that the tracks I tested with were from a vinyl rip - the "blip" is actually present in the source mp3 (you've guessed - a scratch on the record!)
Offline Scott  
#29 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 10:48:52 AM(UTC)
Scott

keith.robson wrote:
OK, I have to own up to inadequate testing Blushing.
I hadn't unpacked my soundbridge from a recent house move before I installed Jamcast. The one thing I knew I wanted and that worked with firefly was gapless playback. So I got it out of its box, plugged in some headphones and gave it a whirl...
Unfortunately I'd forgotten that the tracks I tested with were from a vinyl rip - the "blip" is actually present in the source mp3 (you've guessed - a scratch on the record!)

Hey, that's OK. Smile

So have you tried it with any other media that was not sourced from vinyl?
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline keith.robson  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:27:04 AM(UTC)
keith.robson

Scott wrote:

Yes, I've had a bit more time to play with it, and the conclusion is that I can't tell the difference between playback via Firefly and playback via Jamcast.
A definite ThumbsUp

Keith
Offline Scott  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:58:55 AM(UTC)
Scott

keith.robson wrote:
Scott wrote:

Yes, I've had a bit more time to play with it, and the conclusion is that I can't tell the difference between playback via Firefly and playback via Jamcast.
A definite ThumbsUp

Keith

Good deal! Cool
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline jadieckhaus  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:11:39 AM(UTC)
jadieckhaus

I wanted to specifically update my post #17, and all posts for that matter. It seems like the update you sent me, Scott, has fixed the problem with my torrents. I'm no longer having problems with uTorrent crashing while I Jamcast. Both are working great at the same time. Everything is working great!
Razz

love this thing....
Offline alanritchie  
#33 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2009 11:52:23 PM(UTC)
alanritchie

Hi Scott

I stumbled across Jamcast on the Roku forum when I was trying to find a way to stream internet files from Nokia Music to my Soundbridge. Frankly, it's brilliant. It does everything I need it to do! Once I set up my soundcard it worked a treat. About to buy a Philips NP1100 player for another room. I can only aassume it will work as well with that if not better. Thanks for solving my problem.

Alan
Offline dandholt  
#34 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:28:30 AM(UTC)
dandholt

Smile Smile Smile

I nearly fainted with happiness discovering this.

I have nearly gone mad with trying to configure Firefly/Fireplay and/or Twonky.

Currently using Jamcast off a Vista Box used as a server with an iTunes lossless library of 5500 tracks.

Receiving into a Denon S52 DAB (great box - bar the lack of tone controls).

I haven't figured the playlist arrangements yet (ran out of time).

My first question is

Can I vary the type of the transcode to get the max quality from my lossless out to hifi (ish) devices?

So

GREAT WORK

You need lots of publicity to get this thing out to the masses. From my research efforts I would say there is a huge demand out there.

Cheers

danholt

Offline Scott  
#35 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:01:12 AM(UTC)
Scott

Hi Dan,

If you fainted and hurt your head, could I be sued? That worries me... Tongue

To answer your question about transcoding quality, you do have some control but you may not need to do anything at all. Jamcast will never upsample nor downsample during transcoding unless completely necessary according to the known capabilities of the device. These capabilities, most importantly of which are the minimum and maximum sample rates, can be adjust via the device properties editor. To get to this, right-click on your Denon in the Devices tab of the Jamcast Server Manager and choose Properties.

If it's important to you, iTunes playlists are not yet supported -- they were slated for the last release but I got into some hot water and had to drop it in the interest of time. BUT, I did make some good progress on it, so it shouldn't be too far around the corner.

Thanks for the kind words, and do stop by if you have any more questions.

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline ikjadoon  
#36 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:07:02 AM(UTC)
ikjadoon

Why the crap isn't this advertised?!? You guys need to like, I don't know, put up ads somewhere. I was meaninglessly browsing some forums trying to figure out how to setup my speakers for my new TV and I saw this.

I didn't have time then to set it up, but I just tried it and it works like just like it should. That's absolutely amazing. Very few beta products with crosstalk between devices like this work (like Orb!) so simply. Absolute kudos. Smile

I LOVE IT! I only wish there was a way to cut that delay, but honestly, it doesn't matter. Really, like at all. Very impressed!

If you an XBOX 360 and need help: go to the My Xbox row, Music Library, [Nameofyourcomputer:Titleofyourserver], Saved Playlists, <Virtual Soundcard>. Bam, you're set. Smile

I have a few questions, though: is there a way to isolate sound from one program instead of the entire system? Great program! BigGrin BigGrin

~Ibrahim~

Edited by user Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:17:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sshaw1986  
#37 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2009 10:49:48 AM(UTC)
sshaw1986

Why was I not aware of this until now?!?! I agree with ikjadoon you guys really need to advertise this.

You should contact Microsoft and work out something with them that would allow more 360 members to know about this. It would send a tremendous amount of users your way.

Yea listening to pandora on my stereo is pretty much amazing thank you soooo much, and its simple too took me probably 4 mins total to set up.

I agree the only thing that I would change about it so far is the slight delay in the stereo compared to the comp. speakers, but other then that no problems.

Amazing!! Thank you
Offline johnkg  
#38 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 6:39:27 AM(UTC)
johnkg

Hi,

Been running it for the last hour, seems great so far.

Would it possible to be able to switch off some of the library views and 'play all tracks by artist' (via .ini file or config settings)?

Personally, I'd just want to use Album->Artist view. Though preferably I'd like to use Filesystem view; but that sorts tracks in alpha order rather than mp3/flac tag order. Also it would be great if you could specify your 'preferred view' as the root of the navigation tree after you selected the server.

e.g. Select Jamcast->Root of Album Artist view

Memory usage seems high (59,260k) compared to fuppes (12,392k) and Twonky (~16,000k)

cheers

John

Offline Scott  
#39 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 7:44:36 AM(UTC)
Scott

johnkg wrote:
Hi,

Been running it for the last hour, seems great so far.

Would it possible to be able to switch off some of the library views and 'play all tracks by artist' (via .ini file or config settings)?

Personally, I'd just want to use Album->Artist view. Though preferably I'd like to use Filesystem view; but that sorts tracks in alpha order rather than mp3/flac tag order. Also it would be great if you could specify your 'preferred view' as the root of the navigation tree after you selected the server.

e.g. Select Jamcast->Root of Album Artist view

Memory usage seems high (59,260k) compared to fuppes (12,392k) and Twonky (~16,000k)

cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks for stopping by to provide this valuable feedback, I really appreciate it! Smile

Regarding customization of how the browsing works, this is something that has been requested enough times that I would expect to see it as a new feature in a future release of the software.

Regarding the sort order of the track in the Browse Filesystem area, this was actually changed back in March from sorting by track # to filename at the request of some members of the community. The original thread is here, and I'd encourage you to add your 2 cents on this there as I can certainly make this configurable so everyone will be happy: http://www.sdstechnologi...lt.aspx?g=posts&t=52

Finally, regarding the memory usage, Jamcast will appear to consume quite a bit more memory than it actually needs. The number in task manager actually represents what is known as the "working set" which Windows will trim as (if) necessary. The true memory usage can be checked on the Server tab in the Jamcast Server Manager; the "Total memory usage" diagnostic typically never exceeds 10MB.

Again, thanks for the feedback and do let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Thanks!

P.S. What device(s) are you using with Jamcast?
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline johnkg  
#40 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 9:28:00 AM(UTC)
johnkg

Hi Scott,

Will follow the thread you pointed out re. Track ordering. I'm using a Philips SLA5520. Great thing about Jamcast so far is that it can handle playlists correctly (which fuppes struggles with).

cheers

John