Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Android 0.9.4
Rattyman1964 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:35:14 AM(UTC)

Hi Scott,

Just downloaded and installed 0.9.4 on my HTC Desire HD plus 1.7 on my laptop and pc. I'm still having problems with the 'no servers found' problem reported in the previous versions. I can connect to both servers via wifi on my home network, but can't connect via 3g when out and about. I've tried doing the manual connect with the ip addresses but still no joy. Both 1.7 lap top and pc services are running and the port forwarding tests are fine. Any ideas to where I'm going wrong?

Rattyman

Scott Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:29:16 AM(UTC)
Scott

Rattyman1964;3385 wrote:
Hi Scott,

Just downloaded and installed 0.9.4 on my HTC Desire HD plus 1.7 on my laptop and pc. I'm still having problems with the 'no servers found' problem reported in the previous versions. I can connect to both servers via wifi on my home network, but can't connect via 3g when out and about. I've tried doing the manual connect with the ip addresses but still no joy. Both 1.7 lap top and pc services are running and the port forwarding tests are fine. Any ideas to where I'm going wrong?

Rattyman

Hi Rattyman,

Thanks for reporting this. Let's figure this out...

1) Does the Remote Access test in Server Manager pass?
2) Are you logging into the Android app with your Rattyman1964 account?

I do see 2 pings from you recently -- two different server ID's so this could be both laptop/PC or perhaps the same server if you did a full uninstall anywhere. In any case, the Android app should know how to connect...

Send me some diagnostics if you could -- what you should do is do a Refresh from the Server List (while on 3G) in order to reproduce the issue, then go to Menu/Send Diagnostics and let me know that you've done that. I'll be able to retrieve some logging.

I'll be looking forward to your response on this; I'm anxious to get this solved ASAP!

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Technical Support
Docs: http://www.sdstechnologies.com/Wiki/
Scott Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:47:56 AM(UTC)
Scott

Rattyman1964,

I see what I think is your diagnostics report -- did you indeed send one?

I see 2 results coming back from the internet discovery service (your laptop + PC), so this is good...

Are you seeing those results in the list? I see app crashes happening perhaps when something is clicked?

Thanks!
Scott
Rattyman1964 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:43:45 PM(UTC)

Scott;3386 wrote:
Rattyman1964;3385 wrote:
Hi Scott,

Rattyman

Hi Rattyman,

Thanks for reporting this. Let's figure this out...

1) Does the Remote Access test in Server Manager pass?
2) Are you logging into the Android app with your Rattyman1964 account?

I do see 2 pings from you recently -- two different server ID's so this could be both laptop/PC or perhaps the same server if you did a full uninstall anywhere. In any case, the Android app should know how to connect...

Send me some diagnostics if you could -- what you should do is do a Refresh from the Server List (while on 3G) in order to reproduce the issue, then go to Menu/Send Diagnostics and let me know that you've done that. I'll be able to retrieve some logging.

I'll be looking forward to your response on this; I'm anxious to get this solved ASAP!

Thanks!

Hi Scott,

Yes the Remote Access tests in server manager for both pc and laptop pass. And I am logged in on Android app with my account details. I was out and about earlier and refreshed server list and sent a diagnostic as you asked. I did see a couple of 'internet' IP address that were listed as 'Offline' and when I clicked on these the app froze and forced closed. I tried to add a server manually and the app found this but again it was listed as 'Offline' with the padlock icon in the locked position. Again clicking on this forced closed the app.
Another issue I have found is the phone app not finding music tracks on the PC server. When connected via wifi on the home network the app finds the artist album folder but clicking this returns a message saying 'there's nothing here' which I know is incorrect.

What should I be looking for in the log results?

Hope this helps you resolve these issues.

Rattyman

Scott Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:09:55 PM(UTC)
Scott

Hi Rattyman,

Thanks for that info! I did track down and fix that Force Close when clicking an offline server -- thanks! That's getting away from the issue at hand though...

I'm not exactly sure what's going on yet. One important thing that comes to mind, it would be impossible to host 2 instances of any server listening behind your router on the same port. In other words, your Jamcast instances on laptop and PC will have to use different ports. Then, your router's port forwarding will have to be configured on the router for the new port.

To change the server port, open Jamcast Server Manager and click the Network tab. Change one of them to say, 58643, Apply your changes, and then make the necessary router configuration. Then, check your Remote Access tests again. Also, refresh your server list on the Android -- you should see a change there as the list reflects the port on the non-default instance.

This is probably not going to solve your issue, but it will set things straight so that your diagnostics don't lead us astray. Right now, from the Internet we can't really tell the difference between the PC and laptop -- it's whichever 192.XX address that your router has mapped for port 58642.

What is odd about this problem to me so far -- the web service that performs the Remote Access test can poke thru and talk to your server(s), but the Android app cannot do the same thing. It's a simple request that needs to complete to get the server to appear "Online", and for whatever reason that is failing at the moment.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks!

Scott
Rattyman1964 Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 3:37:07 AM(UTC)

Hi Scott,

I've now done what you suggested and configured the pc and laptop to different ports. PC is on port 58642 and identified as Jamcast on router, Lap top is on port 58643 and identified as Jamcast 2. Both pass the remote access tests and now the app works faultlessly on wifi home network for both servers. However, on non wifi network, eg 3 g, there seems to be something strange going on. The app now sees the two servers as being online but Jamcast 2 (laptop on port 58643) is the only one I can to connect to and works just fine. Jamcast on PC port 58642 appears to be 'locked' and when I click it says loading then displays 'This device is not authorized.' I have sent a couple of dianostics when this happens. I feel we are geting close to solving the problem.

Regards

Rattyman
Scott Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:35:00 AM(UTC)
Scott

Rattyman1964;3394 wrote:
Hi Scott,

I've now done what you suggested and configured the pc and laptop to different ports. PC is on port 58642 and identified as Jamcast on router, Lap top is on port 58643 and identified as Jamcast 2. Both pass the remote access tests and now the app works faultlessly on wifi home network for both servers. However, on non wifi network, eg 3 g, there seems to be something strange going on. The app now sees the two servers as being online but Jamcast 2 (laptop on port 58643) is the only one I can to connect to and works just fine. Jamcast on PC port 58642 appears to be 'locked' and when I click it says loading then displays 'This device is not authorized.' I have sent a couple of dianostics when this happens. I feel we are geting close to solving the problem.

Regards

Rattyman

Hi Rattyman,

Great, yes I agree -- very close!

I think all you need to do now is authorize the device for remote access. Typically this can be done automatically when connected to the server via a LAN/WiFi connection, but you can do so manually as well.

Open Jamcast Server Manager on the PC, click the Devices tab, then locate your Android device (it should have a nice Android/Jamcast icon). Right-click it and enable "Authorized for remote access". Then try to reconnect.

Did that do the trick?
Scott
Rattyman1964 Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 9:47:40 AM(UTC)

Hi Scott,

Everything now working as it should! Thanks for taking time to resolve the issues I reported. Excellent app, keep up the good work.

Regards,

Rattyman.
Scott Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:30:42 AM(UTC)
Scott

Rattyman1964;3396 wrote:
Hi Scott,

Everything now working as it should! Thanks for taking time to resolve the issues I reported. Excellent app, keep up the good work.

Regards,

Rattyman.

Hi Rattyman,

Great! I'm real glad to hear that, thanks so much for working thru the issues with me in a patient manner. I got a bug fix out of this, and will also make a note to update the documentation to bring attention to the consideration necessary to get 2 or more Jamcast Servers working from behind the same router. A very productive exchange here all around!

Keep in touch! Smile
Scott