Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Scott  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:29:04 AM(UTC)
Scott

Jamcast for Android Beta
Version 0.9.2

UserPostedImage

Requirements
Android 2.1+ Device
Jamcast Media Server for Windows 1.6+

What's New?
- app crash when recalling Now Playing activity (shuffle mode bug)
- various display optimizations when resuming Now Playing activity
- added USN field to debug reports
- fixed repeat all mode
- extra error handling for protected streams
- audio engine logging enhancements
- added handling for playback init interrupt

Features

- native formats supported: FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, AAC, SHN, OGG, MP3
- gapless playback
- seek tracks forwards and back (native playback only)
- Internet Discovery Service
- remote access security
- smart connect / reconnect
- album art display
- automatic pause/resume when phone in use
- fullscreen mode
- can be used with multiple servers
- configurable browse page size
- action bar
- automatic audio compression when on 3G connection
- configurable playback bitrate
- shuffle playback mode
- repeat / repeat one
- Keyword search entire database
- Voice search
- Android Voice Actions support aka "Listen To"
- car dock support

Overview
Jamcast for Android lets you browse, search, and play your media collection from any 2.1+ Android device from anywhere you can get an internet connection. This requires the Jamcast server to be running and configured for remote access (see information on Port Forwarding/NAT below).

Using your Jamcast login, the Jamcast Internet Discover Service helps your device find home from anywhere in the world. Advanced users can of course choose to bypass this service and connect via a static IP or hostname.

When connected via LAN, Jamcast offers native playback of a wide variety of audio formats unmatched by competing solutions. Over the internet/3G/4G connections you can specify of the amount of audio compression used, giving you total control over streaming audio quality and mobile network data usage.

Your media collection can be searched quickly, by either touch or voice input. Jamcast for Android also supports Voice Actions (http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/, Android 2.2+) -- hold the Search button down and say "Listen to <your favorite artist>", or "Listen to Rock" and see what happens!

Known Issues

- out of memory issues on browse track list
- limited local playlist support
- some missing / vague error notifications from audio engine
- SHN seek causes segfault
- playback queue album art not available when not on originating network
- no documentation
- rendering issue on Now Playing seekbar / Samsung devices
- "repeat one" not working

Getting Started

Server Configuration (Network Tab):

UserPostedImage

It is recommended you use the internet discovery service if you plan on accessing Jamcast remotely over a 3G network (or from a remote LAN). This service utilizes your Jamcast login. If you prefer to use DNS or will not be accessing your library remotely, you can disable internet discovery services.

Enable Android authorization when remote access is enabled, this ensures that only devices that only authorized devices can connect to Jamcast. Security does not apply to LAN-connected devices.

- enable auto-authorization and establish a LAN connection from the Android device to the Jamcast server to authorize it automatically

- from the Devices tab, right-click to allow/disallow remote access for a particular device

Port Forwarding (NAT):

UserPostedImage

Your router must be configured to pass internet traffic on TCP 58642 to the computer where Jamcast is running. For your convenience, a simple remote access test is available on the Network/Remote Access tab. If this test fails, no device will be able to access Jamcast over the internet.

If you need help configuring your router visit http://portforward.com/e...Jamcast/Jamcastindex.htm and choose your make/model router for detailed instructions.

NOTE: Skip the advertisement on portforward.com! You don't have to buy anything to your router's setup guide!

Device Setup:

A simple setup wizard guides you thru the process of getting connected for the first time. At the end of the setup wizard you'll be connected to your music collection. Or, if no connection can be established or your device is lacking proper authorization, or more than 2 server instances were found, you will be forwarded to the Server List activity.

Crash Reports:

When Jamcast for Android crashes, a crash report will automatically be transmitted to us. This report contains some basic configuration data, a portion of the logfile, and a call stack trace. These reports will be constantly monitored and will given their due attention. Furthermore, should technical support ever request it you can manually send a diagnostic report via Menu/Settings. Crash reports will be optional in the non-beta release of the app.

Thanks & enjoy!

Edited by user Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:42:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott
Jamcast Developer
Support Page: http://getjamcast.com/Support.aspx
Offline lonea  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:38:07 PM(UTC)
lonea

virtual sound card does not work on viewsonic gtablet running vegan-tab rom (on remote jamcast via internet) but works on lan jamcast

works fine on g2 running stock rom

remote jamcast is running windows 2003 with virtual sound card

local jamcast is running w7

Edited by user Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:50:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Scott  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 2:24:23 PM(UTC)
Scott

lonea wrote:
virtual sound card does not work on viewsonic gtablet running vegan-tab rom (on remote jamcast via internet) but works on lan jamcast

Hey lonea, thanks for the feedback.

So, the Windows 2003 box where the Virtual Soundcard doesn't work, can you get it to work with other devices over a LAN connection. In other words, is it only problematic in the context of Jamcast for Android?

Also, what is the behavior -- no sound?

This might just be an issue of getting Stereo Mix configured: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiW4lj5ZUNc

Try that and see if it helps.

Also, can you give some feedback on the tablet experience with the Jamcast app running? I've not seen it running on a tablet yet, does it look good etc.? Any issues you can mention?

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline foxkat  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 9:50:32 AM(UTC)
foxkat

OK folks, so we're now all so wrapped up into listening to our music that we don't have time to post to the discussion for this version, or is it that this version (0.9.2) is completely perfect??? Confused

Things I have experienced:

"Play Now" adds new selection(s) to queue but doesn't replace previous selections.
To clear queue, you have to go to the playlist, press and hold a track, and then the option to delete track or clear queue appears.

Problem with version 0.9.1 regarding not being able to turn off "shuffle" or "repeat" has been resolved with .2.

I have had a couple FCs with this version when I moved from menu to menu too quickly, but overall it's been stable.

Problem when going to Now Playing causing FCs seems to be resolved.

I have suffered dramatic buffering delay issues but I don't believe it was related to the software. I think Verizon was throttling me for excessive use, but only in my home county, Delaware County, PA. When in Philadelphia County, PA, I experienced NO buffering issues, even at higher bitrates.

Edited by user Monday, June 13, 2011 10:01:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Scott  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 2:44:59 PM(UTC)
Scott

Thanks foxkat for your invaluable feedback!

I'll have to go thru the crash logs again for those browse-related FC's, I don't believe I saw those. I got a few others though!

Regarding playback buffers on the device, I'm still looking into that and therefore into what the options are for bigger/more configurable buffers. It's relatively cheap to prebuffer 4-5 minutes of 256kbps audio, especially when you look at buffering to SD card, etc.

Regarding swapping a new list of tracks into the playback queue, what do other people think about this? One thing I was considering is having a workspace of say 5 playback queues that can be flipped between, allowing you to play/clear/(save?) any of the queues individually without affecting another...

There are probably 100 ways to satisfy such a requirement. Now to figure out which is best...

Thanks!

Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline foxkat  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:48:02 AM(UTC)
foxkat

Scott wrote:
Thanks foxkat for your invaluable feedback!

I'll have to go thru the crash logs again for those browse-related FC's, I don't believe I saw those. I got a few others though!

Regarding playback buffers on the device, I'm still looking into that and therefore into what the options are for bigger/more configurable buffers. It's relatively cheap to prebuffer 4-5 minutes of 256kbps audio, especially when you look at buffering to SD card, etc.

Regarding swapping a new list of tracks into the playback queue, what do other people think about this? One thing I was considering is having a workspace of say 5 playback queues that can be flipped between, allowing you to play/clear/(save?) any of the queues individually without affecting another...

There are probably 100 ways to satisfy such a requirement. Now to figure out which is best...

Thanks!

Scott,

All your responses are great. As for the buffering, I am all for prebuffering whenever possible, perhaps a rapid buffering of the first 30 seconds (or shorter), so the audio starts quickly, and while that first 30 second buffer is being exhausted, a second 30 second pre-buffer is pulled (for some cushion), followed immediately by a full track buffering. This way, there is nary a chance for a buffer underrun.

Then once the buffer issue is a non-issue (by having plenty of lead time before requiring the next track to buffer), interruptions should essentially never occur - again, unless there is an actual service interruption that lasts longer than the remaining buffer length (remaining portion of buffered track).

As for the multiple playback queue (or playlist) options, they are great ideas. By having a choice from several existing queues or playlists, folks can either create playlists on the fly, or have several "favorites" lists, such as "driving", "dinner", "work", "recreation", "sensual", etc. I can see this being really not much different than having a favorite radio station based on genre or format.

Great ideas.
Offline Jambo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:43:10 AM(UTC)
Jambo

Hi Scott,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm traveling in Chicago, far from home, and have been really enjoying listening to selections from my music library 1000 miles away. The software has been working flawlessly for me this week. Very cool!

One usability suggestion: When browsing albums, I sometimes tap an album to display a list of songs on that album. The album art and title are displayed at the top of the list, and it would be nice if I could tap t
he album to add the entire list of songs on the album to the playback queue, instead of having to return up the folder hierachy to select the album for addition to the queue.

-Jambo

foxkat wrote:
OK folks, so we're now all so wrapped up into listening to our music that we don't have time to post to the discussion for this version, or is it that this version (0.9.2) is completely perfect??? Confused

Things I have experienced:

"Play Now" adds new selection(s) to queue but doesn't replace previous selections.
To clear queue, you have to go to the playlist, press and hold a track, and then the option to delete track or clear queue appears.

Problem with version 0.9.1 regarding not being able to turn off "shuffle" or "repeat" has been resolved with .2.

I have had a couple FCs with this version when I moved from menu to menu too quickly, but overall it's been stable.

Problem when going to Now Playing causing FCs seems to be resolved.

I have suffered dramatic buffering delay issues but I don't believe it was related to the software. I think Verizon was throttling me for excessive use, but only in my home county, Delaware County, PA. When in Philadelphia County, PA, I experienced NO buffering issues, even at higher bitrates.

Offline lonea  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:17:27 AM(UTC)
lonea

Seems like the bug is at the wifi. The phone also does not work when it is on wifi trying to connect to a remote jamcast. It loops like the viewsonic gtablet does.

Hope that helps.

Scott wrote:
lonea wrote:

Hey lonea, thanks for the feedback.

So, the Windows 2003 box where the Virtual Soundcard doesn't work, can you get it to work with other devices over a LAN connection. In other words, is it only problematic in the context of Jamcast for Android?

Also, what is the behavior -- no sound?

This might just be an issue of getting Stereo Mix configured: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiW4lj5ZUNc

Try that and see if it helps.

Also, can you give some feedback on the tablet experience with the Jamcast app running? I've not seen it running on a tablet yet, does it look good etc.? Any issues you can mention?

Thanks!

Offline Scott  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:45:23 PM(UTC)
Scott

Hey everyone, version 0.9.3 is posted!

As always, you can download it from your Android device at http://getjamcast/Android

Conversation continues here: http://www.sdstechnologi...ta-0-9-3-Discussion.aspx

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer