Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline foxkat  
#21 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 4:45:48 PM(UTC)
foxkat

Scott wrote:
foxkat wrote:
OK, when Jamcast is running, the port tester reports that the port is locked (by Jamcast), but when I shut down Jamcast, then it reports that the port is NOT OPEN or not reachable.

I did shut down the firewall during this test.

This is a WINXP SP3 and a Motorola Droid 2 running Liberty 2.0 ROM.

How does the Remote Access (in Jamcast Server Manager) test go when Jamcast is running with the firewall down? Can you get it to pass?

Nope.
Offline foxkat  
#22 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 4:52:20 PM(UTC)
foxkat

Jambo wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Scott, and the help with using the app. In answer to your question, yes, I have used the app both over Wifi and over 3G. I had good results with both. In each case I did encounter some black-out or rebuffering events (not sure which). When I was driving in the car, and using 3G, I obviously couldn't read the interface carefully to gather any messages that may have been displayed, but in each case, the silence resolved itself after about 15-30 seconds, and I was driving in some deep valleys that probably had spotty 3G in any event. So far, it seems like a pretty nifty app!

-Jambo

Hey Jambo,

Since you have 3G working, perhaps with some basic info about your setup, we can point to clues that will help resolve issues for others (including me).

Could you tell me what phone you have, who your ISP is, and what router you are using? Thanks.

Perhaps with your help, we can assist Scott in making what is already a blockbuster server application and amazing Android streaming app into the most amazing and powerful development in portable audio in this decade.

Phil
Offline foxkat  
#23 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 5:29:39 PM(UTC)
foxkat

Scott wrote:
foxkat wrote:
OK, when Jamcast is running, the port tester reports that the port is locked (by Jamcast), but when I shut down Jamcast, then it reports that the port is NOT OPEN or not reachable.

I did shut down the firewall during this test.

This is a WINXP SP3 and a Motorola Droid 2 running Liberty 2.0 ROM.

How does the Remote Access (in Jamcast Server Manager) test go when Jamcast is running with the firewall down? Can you get it to pass?

It wasn't until the changes below...

OK Scott, I have the server now showing as Online on the Droid, but when I try to connect, it says "This device is not authorized." and the Retry button yields the same results no matter how many times I press it.

To get it to show "Online" I had to go into the router on TWO separate sections and remove all instances of Jamcast, then create a custom port in the Firewall section, under Port Forwarding. There was another instance of Jamcast already authorized by the router under the Advanced section, Port Forwarding Rules, and I think what was happening is that it was conflicting although the router didn't catch it.

Now the test comes back with success!

Now we have to figure out why the Jamcast for Android is reporting as not authorized.

Offline Scott  
#24 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 10:55:12 PM(UTC)
Scott

foxkat wrote:
Now we have to figure out why the Jamcast for Android is reporting as not authorized.

With the security enabled (see Network/Remote Access tab in Server Manager), the device has to be authorized before it can connect to the Jamcast Server over 3G. So, you've got 3 options here:

UserPostedImage

1) Disable security (not recommended).
2) Manually authorize the device: right-click the Android device in Server Manager and make sure "Authorized for Remote Access" is ticked.
3) If "Auto-authorize devices discovered on the local network" is enabled, simply put your Android device on the LAN connection and it should get permission automatically.

In the case of #3, I know you've been on the LAN with the device already, so presumably you've uninstalled/reinstalled the Jamcast APK since then?

Glad you got past that router issue. I was starting to wonder whether Verizon was blocking this traffic on their end...

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Support Page: http://getjamcast.com/Support.aspx
Offline Scott  
#25 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 10:59:09 PM(UTC)
Scott

scratchnsniff wrote:
I just reduced my audio quality to the lowest settings. I also played around with the server setting here. http://min.us/mthFTAo3hS0xt I found that despite what I put in there and to what quality I set my stream , I always get around a 12 second delay. Additionally putting a value of ".1", and probably any non integer value, into that field crashes the program.

Today I'm going to look into how these controls affect the bitrate and if the Virtual Soundcard stream is adjusted as advertised. If you have a moment, could you paste your medialog.txt to http://pastebin.org and share it here? I'll have some clues in there as well...

Regarding the crash on Server Manager, input validations for numeric fields that would normally prevent such a thing got lost along the same somehow. I've fixed this for the next update of the server. Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention!

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline Scott  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:35:05 AM(UTC)
Scott

Scott wrote:
scratchnsniff wrote:
I just reduced my audio quality to the lowest settings. I also played around with the server setting here. http://min.us/mthFTAo3hS0xt I found that despite what I put in there and to what quality I set my stream , I always get around a 12 second delay. Additionally putting a value of ".1", and probably any non integer value, into that field crashes the program.

Today I'm going to look into how these controls affect the bitrate and if the Virtual Soundcard stream is adjusted as advertised. If you have a moment, could you paste your medialog.txt to http://pastebin.org and share it here? I'll have some clues in there as well...

Regarding the crash on Server Manager, input validations for numeric fields that would normally prevent such a thing got lost along the same somehow. I've fixed this for the next update of the server. Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention!

Thanks!

To follow-up on the Virtual Soundcard issue with respect to the startup delay, it seems this is an issue in the MP3 decoder with respect to streams that are not seekable. Essentially, the decoder probes the audio stream in an effort to properly identify its properties, and this behavior varies for seekable/non-seekable data. Clearly the decoder is not optimized in this case when streaming over MP3...

For now, this issue is unfortunately out of my hands. Thankfully, I can submit an issue and the decoder could get fixed in a reasonable short period of time. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, that startup delay on the Virtual Soundcard is what it is unfortunately...

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline Jambo  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:30:13 AM(UTC)
Jambo

Hey Scott,

I'm really loving this Adroid beta. It's working well in a variety of conditions (in the car, mainly), and I really love the ability to stream songs from my music library wherever I am, instead of struggling with the inane interface on my car's hard disk. I have run into a couple of minor problems with the beta in a specific condition: Moving from my house's wifi network to 3G while streaming music. When the moving from my house to my car, streaming will stop when the phone moves from the wifi connection to 3G, which is understandable. When this happens I must wait for Jamcast to reconnect to my server via the internet, which takes probably 20-30 seconds. On a couple of occasions (though not always), however, my phone has reported that Jamcast has stopped responding and has offered me the single option of closing Jamcast. Once restarted, Jamcast works fine, but I thought you be interested to hear about this periodic issue. Interestingly, I have never encountered the same crash when moving from 3G to wifi, but that may be luck. I'll keep you posted on any additional issues I encounter. I've got to reiterate, though, that it's great!

-Jambo
Offline Jambo  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:37:41 AM(UTC)
Jambo

foxkat wrote:
Jambo wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Scott, and the help with using the app. In answer to your question, yes, I have used the app both over Wifi and over 3G. I had good results with both. In each case I did encounter some black-out or rebuffering events (not sure which). When I was driving in the car, and using 3G, I obviously couldn't read the interface carefully to gather any messages that may have been displayed, but in each case, the silence resolved itself after about 15-30 seconds, and I was driving in some deep valleys that probably had spotty 3G in any event. So far, it seems like a pretty nifty app!

-Jambo

Hey Jambo,

Since you have 3G working, perhaps with some basic info about your setup, we can point to clues that will help resolve issues for others (including me).

Could you tell me what phone you have, who your ISP is, and what router you are using? Thanks.

Perhaps with your help, we can assist Scott in making what is already a blockbuster server application and amazing Android streaming app into the most amazing and powerful development in portable audio in this decade.

Phil

Hi, Phil. I'm using an HTC Incredible, running Android 2.2. ISP is Verizon (FIOS). Router is a NetGear WGR614v7.

-Jambo
Offline foxkat  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:44:50 PM(UTC)
foxkat

Scott wrote:
foxkat wrote:

With the security enabled (see Network/Remote Access tab in Server Manager), the device has to be authorized before it can connect to the Jamcast Server over 3G. So, you've got 3 options here:

UserPostedImage

2) Manually authorize the device: right-click the Android device in Server Manager and make sure "Authorized for Remote Access" is ticked.
3) If "Auto-authorize devices discovered on the local network" is enabled, simply put your Android device on the LAN connection and it should get permission automatically.

In the case of #3, I know you've been on the LAN with the device already, so presumably you've uninstalled/reinstalled the Jamcast APK since then?

Glad you got past that router issue. I was starting to wonder whether Verizon was blocking this traffic on their end...

Thanks!

OK Scott...you sir, are a genius! I took option 2 and it works like a charm! I am SOOOOOO happy that I can now listen to my music on my home NAS drive WHILE DRIVING! Simply AMAZING.

As for option 3, I could do the uninstall and reinstall but is there any advantage at this point? I will install the client on my wife's Motorola Droid tonight and see if it automatically approves, since the box is checked. If not, then I'll uninstall and reinstall to see if that solves the problem.

This is such a HUGE breakthrough for me. I have Sonos and the CR-100 controller is awesome, except for one thing...you can't plug headphones into it and listen to music over it. Then they came out with the CR-200 which is similar in size to an iPhone, but again, no music client incorporated.

Now I have the best of both worlds. An Android controller on my phone for my Sonos when in the house (and yes, also a controller for the two Roku Soundbridges), and then there's the newly added ability to play all my music over a portable device - the same Android phone (thank you very much, Scott).

That would be enough, but nooooo, you can't stop there. You have to go and give me access to the same arsenal of music over 3G!!

WOW!

Thanks again and a spectacular job (but then, I'm not surprised).

Phil
Offline foxkat  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:52:21 PM(UTC)
foxkat

Scott wrote:
foxkat wrote:

UserPostedImage

Thanks!

Scott, have it working on the wife's Droid 1 fully stock Froyo over 3G! Didn't try it on LAN with her phone yet, so I don't know of it would have given it authorization without doing it manually via option 2. Will try uninstalling and starting over on both to see if they get authorization on their own or if I have to intervene again.
Offline foxkat  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:55:12 PM(UTC)
foxkat

Scott wrote:
foxkat wrote:

UserPostedImage

Thanks!

Scott, have it working on the wife's Droid 1 fully stock Froyo over 3G! Didn't try it on LAN with her phone yet, so I don't know of it would have given it authorization without doing it manually via option 2. Will try uninstalling and starting over on both to see if they get authorization on their own or if I have to intervene again.
Offline Scott  
#32 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:31:07 AM(UTC)
Scott

Version 0.9.2 is now available. Please visit http://getjamcast.com/android from your Android device to download.

Changes:

- app crash when recalling Now Playing activity (shuffle mode bug)
- various display optimizations when resuming Now Playing activity
- added USN field to debug reports
- fixed repeat all mode
- extra error handling for protected streams
- audio engine logging enhancements
- added handling for playback init interrupt

Please continue Jamcast for Android beta discussion here:
http://www.sdstechnologi...ta-0-9-2-Discussion.aspx

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer