Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What was your first impression of Jamcast?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Great!
59 %
  It has potential, but needs some work.
19 %
  Just OK for me.
4 %
  It works, but I don't like it.
7 %
  Who knows? I never got it to work.
8 %
  Total 92 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Scott  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 10:55:25 AM(UTC)
Scott

Let us hear what you think about Jamcast so far!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Support Page: http://getjamcast.com/Support.aspx
Offline estrafeldas  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:33:29 PM(UTC)
estrafeldas

It helped me tremendously. It pertty much works by itself. The info and pics that were posted on the forum were very informative. This forum I like better than the Roku forum.
Thanks again.
Offline waltzpaul  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 12:24:03 AM(UTC)
waltzpaul

The application installed cleanly on my XT system. My primary interest is streaming MP3s and internet radio to a device that I own, an SMC EZ-Stream SMCWAA-G 802.11g Wireless Audio Adapter. Jamcast will do both, but I want to be able to create radio station favorites which I can then select remotely. I was unable to add a stream, such as WKSU radio: http://66.225.205.8:8010/, to any folder with remote access. I understand that I can listen on the computer hear it remotely using the soundcard, but I want to be able to select stations remotely. TVersity allows this, but has other issues.
Offline Scott  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2009 1:02:26 AM(UTC)
Scott

waltzpaul wrote:
The application installed cleanly on my XT system. My primary interest is streaming MP3s and internet radio to a device that I own, an SMC EZ-Stream SMCWAA-G 802.11g Wireless Audio Adapter. Jamcast will do both, but I want to be able to create radio station favorites which I can then select remotely. I was unable to add a stream, such as WKSU radio: http://66.225.205.8:8010/, to any folder with remote access. I understand that I can listen on the computer hear it remotely using the soundcard, but I want to be able to select stations remotely. TVersity allows this, but has other issues.

The ability to add internet radio streams to Jamcast is something that I expect to get a lot of requests for, and is a feature that I fully expect to implement at some point. Demand for this feature will dictate exactly when that will be, so stay tuned.

Thanks for your feedback!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline mercilessgunner  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:47:29 PM(UTC)
mercilessgunner

Thank you so much... All I need it to do now is integrate with my iTunes playlists. Smile
Offline leiase  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:23:11 PM(UTC)
leiase

Wow. All my music is aac format and everything just worked effortlessly.

Well done.
Offline danj0r  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 10:51:58 PM(UTC)
danj0r

Seems really speedy and rock solid so far. Won't be using it as my primary browsing method (via xbmc) until a couple of nitpicks are resolved though.
1/ Some way to get album art happening
2/ Ability to make it ignore certain file extensions (particularly playlists, as it's annoying when listing all tracks of an artist and there's two of everything because of a playlist file in the same folder.)
Offline Scott  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 11:44:17 PM(UTC)
Scott

danj0r wrote:
Seems really speedy and rock solid so far. Won't be using it as my primary browsing method (via xbmc) until a couple of nitpicks are resolved though.
1/ Some way to get album art happening
2/ Ability to make it ignore certain file extensions (particularly playlists, as it's annoying when listing all tracks of an artist and there's two of everything because of a playlist file in the same folder.)

Hi danj0r, thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the album art, this is a pretty high-priority enhancement request slated for a short-term release. Stay tuned on that.

Regarding the duplicate tracks, can you explain that a little more? This shouldn't be happening -- a track in Jamcast's database is unique by the full path to the file. So, if the tracks aren't physically duplicated, they shouldn't be duplicated when browsing Jamcast -- even if the track were in 100 playlists, it should only be displayed once when browsing that track's artist. I will look into this ASAP.

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline danj0r  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:50:50 PM(UTC)
danj0r

Scott wrote:
Regarding the duplicate tracks, can you explain that a little more? This shouldn't be happening -- a track in Jamcast's database is unique by the full path to the file. So, if the tracks aren't physically duplicated, they shouldn't be duplicated when browsing Jamcast -- even if the track were in 100 playlists, it should only be displayed once when browsing that track's artist. I will look into this ASAP.

Thanks!

Just checked and discovered that I only get duplicates if I navigate to "Browse by Artist". I also wrongly assumed it was due to playlists in the folders as it seems to just be showing duplicates of everything originally scanned in - the folders that I've just added today though are not listing duplicates.

All other "Browse by" methods appear to be working correctly.
Offline Scott  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:14:40 PM(UTC)
Scott

danj0r wrote:
Scott wrote:

Thanks!

Just checked and discovered that I only get duplicates if I navigate to "Browse by Artist". I also wrongly assumed it was due to playlists in the folders as it seems to just be showing duplicates of everything originally scanned in - the folders that I've just added today though are not listing duplicates.

All other "Browse by" methods appear to be working correctly.

Ah, yes. That was fixed a couple of days ago and will be corrected in the next build. I'll probably push that out in a couple of days depending on what other issues come up between now and then. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline SC10E  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:07:45 AM(UTC)
SC10E

Good concept, but the playback from my audio files is just too choppy for me to use it.

My xbox is connected to the network via wireless G, and so is the host computer. They both have 100% signal strength as I am using a wireless N router.

With sharing via TVersity or the Zune software, playback is perfect.
Offline Scott  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:48:40 AM(UTC)
Scott

SC10E wrote:
Good concept, but the playback from my audio files is just too choppy for me to use it.

My xbox is connected to the network via wireless G, and so is the host computer. They both have 100% signal strength as I am using a wireless N router.

With sharing via TVersity or the Zune software, playback is perfect.

Thanks for letting me know. You are the first to report a problem with playback performance when network throughput is not the suspected cause. I'm happy to take the time and work with you to figure out what the problem is.

What kind of files are you playing?
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline SC10E  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 5:19:53 PM(UTC)
SC10E

Sorry about that man, I meant to include the file types.

I am playing WMA lossless (9.2), so the bitrate is higher than what a lot of people typically use, and that might be a factor of the playback. They are streaming off a 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black Ed. , so no speed problem there.

AMD Dual Core, so that isn't a problem.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

I have Full 100% Wireless G 54mbps signal on both the host computer and Xbox.

Thanks for getting back to me, I'd like to think I have a lot of experience with this streaming stuff up to the point of the internals and writing of the software, so I'd be glad to help you with admin if you need it.
Offline Scott  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:44:38 AM(UTC)
Scott

SC10E wrote:
Sorry about that man, I meant to include the file types.

I am playing WMA lossless (9.2), so the bitrate is higher than what a lot of people typically use, and that might be a factor of the playback. They are streaming off a 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black Ed. , so no speed problem there.

AMD Dual Core, so that isn't a problem.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

I have Full 100% Wireless G 54mbps signal on both the host computer and Xbox.

Thanks for getting back to me, I'd like to think I have a lot of experience with this streaming stuff up to the point of the internals and writing of the software, so I'd be glad to help you with admin if you need it.

No problem... let's figure this out. Smile

Your specs certainly appear to be more than adequate; nonetheless, if you could check your CPU utilization while playing one of those WMA Lossless tracks to the 360, that would be a good start. On a Dual Core you're looking to see how close you are to 50% CPU on the jamcastsvc.exe process (it will only use 1 core).

My wireless network probably performs less than yours as I have a couple of B devices on it, and the 360 signal is low... not to mention the fact that my neighborhood has alot of wifi in range. To be thorough, if it's possible, you could try running the PC and Xbox360 wired. Sounds like that's probably a huge pain for you, but it would be useful to at least rule out the network for sure.

I'm going to take a real close look at WMA Lossless to the 360 on my end as well; last time I checked I had no problems with any of my content to the 360, but I want to observe CPU utilization and see if there's additional performance I can get.

FWIW, everything except WMA is transcoded (when necessary, of course) via FFMpeg, which runs in a seperate process and is extremely efficient. However, I use the built-in Windows Media libraries for WMA because the codec support is much more comprehensive, but these libraries are a bit heavy on resources. WMA Lossless does transcode to the 360 as uncompressed, lossless LPCM audio, with sample rate/bitrate/etc. maxed out according to the source track and capabilities of the 360 (max 48kHz 24bit stereo). FYI these are the same libraries that WMP would use for trancoding WMA Lossless to the 360.

Get back to me when you can, and I'll follow up when I've taken a close look at WMA transcoding to see if I've got any work to do there.

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline SC10E  
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:29:30 AM(UTC)
SC10E

I'm gonna check all those off for you either tonight or tomorrow (sorry wired connection is possible for me :/ )

I did forget to mention my wifi is encrypted thru WPA (1) on TKIP encryption type. I will try running unsecured for a couple of tracks soon and see if that makes a difference. It does not with the other software though.

EDIT - I also updated to your latest build, I was still on 9.1.9.

Edited by user Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:40:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jadieckhaus  
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:18:17 AM(UTC)
jadieckhaus

Downloaded yesterday and it was very intuitive. I would easily recommend this to anyone. Initially, I started using WMC for my Roku. The problem was that the majority of my collection is in .flac or .shn. Jamcast solved the problem, both now play.

However, I now have a problem finding some files added since the initial download. The files are found in WMC but not jamcast from my radio - although they don't play in WMC. Got any suggestions? I've gone in and added sharing to the specific file and it then shows up. But hey, that is going to take me awhile to do, there must be an easier way.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks - no matter what, this is the best way I've found to access files from my pc.

jadieckhaus@gmail.com
Offline jadieckhaus  
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:34:23 AM(UTC)
jadieckhaus

And one other thing, my bit torrent;s freeze up since adding jamcast with a message that the file is in use. I've never had this error before, is there a conflict with jamcast?
Offline Scott  
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:54:10 AM(UTC)
Scott

Hi jadieckhaus,

Glad you are enjoying Jamcast, thanks for the feedback. If I had to guess, you download a lot of live music, right? Smile

Regarding the files that aren't showing up, check the importlog.txt in the Jamcast program directory and see if it yields any clues. Import errors are logged there. If you see anything that you don't know how to resolve, get back to me and I'll get it resolved for you. Since you also mention your torrents issue, your importlog.txt might be pretty big, in which case you can feel free to just email it to me, and please include a brief explanation and the path to a file that didn't show up in your library.

And regarding the torrents, yes that is probably Jamcast's library sync mechanism detecting new files and trying to add them to the database. This worked well with programs I have tested with in the past, but you are not the first to report these issues. I will get this taken care of in high priority. In the meantime, it's probably best to stop the Jamcast service while downloading torrents. Sorry about that; I'll get it fixed real soon, though. Smile

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer
Offline jadieckhaus  
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:17:37 AM(UTC)
jadieckhaus

Thanks Scott. The problem with finding files appears to be selective. For example, if it is a live show I dl from etree, I have no problem. However, I purchased David Byrne and Brian Eno's latest and it came as both flac and mp3. When I share the mp3 file, it plays. Oddly enough, when I only share the flac file, my pc gives me this error after attempting each song on the album:

Error Signature:
szAppName : ffmpeg.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : ffmpeg.exe
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 0029a27b

Still very happy with Jamcast.

Thanks!
Joe
Offline Scott  
#20 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:34:25 AM(UTC)
Scott

jadieckhaus wrote:
Thanks Scott. The problem with finding files appears to be selective. For example, if it is a live show I dl from etree, I have no problem. However, I purchased David Byrne and Brian Eno's latest and it came as both flac and mp3. When I share the mp3 file, it plays. Oddly enough, when I only share the flac file, my pc gives me this error after attempting each song on the album:

Error Signature:
szAppName : ffmpeg.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : ffmpeg.exe
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 0029a27b

Still very happy with Jamcast.

Thanks!
Joe

Hi Joe,

You lost me a little there... in your original post you mentioned that you weren't able to browse to certain tracks from your device. In your latest post, it sounds like you can find the track but you get the error message when trying to play it. Are those 2 separate issues?

Regarding that error message, I've never seen that before. Where exactly does this message appear? And you get this when playing a FLAC file, is that right? Does this happen for all of the FLAC files in your library or just certain ones? For the ones that do cause this error, is it 100% of the time or only sometimes?

If certain FLAC files are causing this problem, it would be extremely helpful to try that file in my environment so as to attempt to reproduce the problem (and hopefully fix it). I can accept attachments < 10MB to the email address below, or if you can't find an example smaller than that, you can try sending it via yousendit.com (free an easy).

We'll get to the bottom of this. Smile

Thanks!
Scott
Jamcast Developer